Q&A with FCA expert Victoria Sena
10th July 2023
Marshalls, part of the Ciphr Group, is known across the UK and Ireland as a trusted provider of engaging eLearning courses, ranging from diversity and inclusion to compliance. Marshalls is always keen to update and create new, relevant courses so that their clients can stay up to date with the latest industry and legal requirements.
Below, subject matter expert (SME) Victoria Sena, founder of Cherrybank Consulting, shares her thoughts on Marshalls’ new selection of compliance courses, and why this type of training is of paramount importance for organisations of all sizes.
“Firms constantly have to adapt to the changing regulatory environment. FCA compliance eLearning from Marshalls is here to help”
Victoria, can you tell us more about the new suite of FCA compliance eLearning courses you’re currently working on?
Sure, I’d be happy to. I will be adding 20 new courses to Marshalls’ compliance offering. These include:
- Consumer Duty and SMCR – the Consumer Duty comes into force on 31 July and will have important consequences for the Senior Managers and Certification Regime
- Regulators Introduction – a series of courses introducing the main financial regulators, notably the Financial Conduct Authority, the Bank of England and The Pensions Regulator
- Risk and Risk Management – a risk series that will explore topics like operational risk, market risk, conduct risk, communications and gifts and inducements
- Spotlight on Regulations Series – a series exploring key financial regulations such as the AIFMD, IDD, Solvency II and MiFID II
- Sustainability – courses on Sustainable Finance and Greenwashing to complement Marshalls’ existing training content about climate change
If you have a course you would like Marshalls to consider creating, please get in touch.
Why should firms turn to specialist eLearning providers for support with compliance training?
The most important resource for an organisation is its people. Training not only empowers and enriches employees, but also improves productivity as individuals grow their knowledge and skillsets. The compliance topics offered by Marshalls will be suitable for people new to the financial industry as well as those more experienced. The financial landscape is always changing thanks to new regulations, technology and the macroeconomic environment, and that requires firms to constantly adapt.
As a bonus, all of Marshalls’ courses contribute to an individual’s continuous professional development (CPD) requirements. While some regulations such as the Insurance Distribution Directive require staff to complete 15 hours of CPD per year, financial advisers must complete 35 hours, 21 of which must be structured.
What is your background and expertise in the area?
I have a bachelor’s degree from Oxford University and a master’s degree from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
After I graduated, I spent eight years working at the financial regulator, completing rotations in authorisations, international banks and insurance. During my time there I was fortunate to undertake a secondment to Whitehall’s Department of Energy and Climate Change, before drafting the Bank of England’s 2015 report on the impact of climate change on the insurance industry. I later completed another secondment to the House of Commons’ Treasury Select Committee as a committee specialist. I ran a number of high-profile enquiries and drafted the Committee’s 2017 report on the impact of Solvency II on the UK insurance industry.
I then moved into the private sector, honing my holistic risk management skills as a group risk manager for an international insurance group. Following this role, I focused on business development and operations as the chief operating officer of a boutique investment manager. In this role, I was an FCA-approved person (CF1 and CF30). I now assist clients in the areas of operations, risk, and compliance through my own company, Cherrybank Consulting.
I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments, having attained a Diploma in Investment Operations (level 6). I currently serve as the chairman of the Audit and Risk Committee of the Forest of Dean Trust, and I am a trustee for Microenterprise Africa.
When will these courses be ready?
The new courses will be released throughout summer 2023, starting with the Consumer Duty (which is now live) and Regulators Introduction series. Keep an eye on the Marshall’s LinkedIn page for updates and check out the course catalogue for the full range of courses from Marshall eLearning.
Sign up for our FCA compliance webinar
Along with our FCA compliance eLearning courses, we are also offering a webinar on how to create engaging, effective training programmes for FCA-regulated companies. Join us Tuesday 08 August at 11am or on demand to discover:
- Training priorities for human resources (HR) and learning and diversity (L&D) teams within financial services firms
- An overview of recent changes to legislation and regulations in the sector, including the launch of the Consumer Duty and recent SMCR consultation
- Even more about the new courses come to Marshalls’ eLearning catalogue over the coming months
- How to structure programmes of learning for different job roles and seniority levels, including new starters
- What to include in effective ongoing, annual training programmes
- How Ciphr’s learning management system (LMS) can help you engage learners through learning journeys, and capture robust records of learners’ progress
- A live Q&A
Your hosts will be Victoria Sena, Andrea Matkin (Ciphr’s LMS sales manager) and Cathryn Newbery (Ciphr’s head of content).
More than just compliance: eLearning from Marshalls
Marshalls, part of the Ciphr group, is a leading UK-based provider of off-the-shelf eLearning content, renowned for its expertise in diversity, inclusion and unconscious bias. With an extensive library of modules and content packs that integrate seamlessly with learning management systems, they have expanded their offerings to include compliance, safeguarding, health, safety, wellbeing and management development. Book a demo today to see how our eLearning courses can help your organisation.
This blog post was originally published on ciphr.com.