In a collaborative effort, several prominent Irish universities, including University College Cork, University of Limerick, Maynooth University, University College Dublin, NUI Galway, Trinity College Dublin, RCSI, and DCU, have come together to create a transformative course on Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in Higher Education.
This 45-minute course is designed to equip all staff members with essential knowledge and skills to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community.
The course comprises four sections:
- Introduction to EDI
- Recruitment and Selection
- Meeting the Needs of Diverse Students in Teaching and Learning Settings
- Putting Policy into Practice
Course Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course learners will be confident in:
- Understanding the Importance and Benefits of EDI and Human Rights in Higher Education
- Familiarity with EDI Law in Education and Workplace Settings
- Exploring Existing EDI Initiatives in the Higher Education Sector
- Methods for Mainstreaming EDI in Higher Education
This Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in Higher Education course represents a significant step toward creating a more inclusive and diverse academic community. By providing all staff members with essential knowledge and skills, the course empowers them to actively contribute to a fair and equitable Higher Education environment.
Through the four sections of the course, participants gain an understanding of the importance and benefits of EDI, learn about relevant legal frameworks, explore existing initiatives, and acquire practical methods to mainstream EDI principles. Armed with this knowledge, staff members are poised to foster inclusive practices, embrace diversity, and uphold the values of equality and human rights within Higher Education institutions across Ireland.