Unconscious Bias Training
Unconscious Bias Training is all about developing a clear understanding of how to best manage our personal biases professionally, is imperative for creating discrimination-free, fair, inclusive, and commercially competitive organisations.
Our Unconscious Bias classroom training course, hosted by our principal consultant Vernal Scott, will enable organisations to realistically achieve this goal.
According to the Child Study Centre at Yale University, it is now an undisputed fact that all human beings are primed to make implicit errors in perception, and that even good people who actively deny being biased, harbour subtle, yet damaging stereotypes ofwhich they are unaware.
Research coming out from academic institutions across the world, (including Harvard, Oxford, MIT, etc), and best practice organisations (such as McKinsey, Catalyst, The Chartered Institute of Personnel Development, CIPD), strongly suggest the reality of unconscious bias, and importantly, its direct impact on key decision-making processes – in the workplace.
Developing a clear understanding of how to best manage our personal biases professionally, is therefore imperative for creating discrimination-free, fair, inclusive, and commercially competitive organisations.
This course teaches you what unconscious bias is, the mechanics of bias, and how it typically infiltrates and affects the workplace. It will provide you with best practice research tools and methods for positively managing personal, team, and organisational (or institutional) biases for improved and effective workplace decision-making, and therefore better functioning organisations.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for employees and professionals seeking to gain insight into workplace behaviour, so as to become more effective in their roles.
It will be particularly beneficial for middle and senior managers with decision making responsibilities that impact line management, strategy, policy and process development, and the overall people and organisational development function.
This is a 1-day course. It can run over 2 days for participants who have an identified coaching need.
The course is designed to be interactive. Using evidence-based research, the delivery will be face-to-face, using a range of learning methods including; pre-course work, MS PowerPoint presentation, a range of group activities, including peer learning and action-learning sets (ALS), workshop activities, a Bias Questionnaire with individual feedback, as well as Q&A sessions, etc.
A section of the course can also be delivered on a 1-2-1 coaching basis.
- What is ‘Unconscious Bias’?
- How we are ‘wired’ – The Neuro-psychology of the mind
- The 12 Identified Biases: The ‘Filters’ through which we see the world
- Examining the evidence-based research
- Bias and the 9 ‘Protected Characteristics’
- Unconscious Bias and the decision-making process – Some business examples
- Combating the ‘Organisational Unconscious’
- 10 strategies for effectively managing workplace bias
- ‘Know thyself’ – Steps to greater self-awareness: from ‘Unconscious Bias’ to ‘Conscious Choices’
At the end of the course, attendees will:
- Understand what unconscious bias is, and the underpinning research and theory behind the concept.
- Understand the science behind the inner workings of the mind which leads to biased decision-making.
- Be able to accurately recognise the different types of bias in organisational processes and possess the tools for managing them to great effect.
- Develop a clear understanding of one’s personal biases and their associated levers and drivers.
- Gain an understanding of the practical steps to take toward better and bias-free decision-making processes.
- Be able to develop a personal development plan to minimise personal biases.
- Act as a change agent driving inclusive behaviours and attitudes that promote positive workplace practices and drive innovation.
- Develop a greater sense of self-awareness and mindfulness in dealing with stakeholders and colleagues.
And if you would like to find out more about our Unconscious Bias onsite training courses please call us on 0845 123 3909